Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Media Event: TKRE The Kathi Roll Express

by - July 06, 2013

Name: TKRE The Kathi Roll Express
Cuisine: Indian
Address: 692 Yonge St, Toronto, ON, M4Y1Z9
Website: http://www.thekathirollexpress.com/

TKRE The Kathi Roll Express is a restaurant on Yonge & Bloor that specializes in Kathi Rolls. What are they? A Kathi Roll is basically a fried paratha (wholewheat indian flatbread) wrapped in your choice of meat filling (beef, chicken, lamb, goat, etc...), vegetables and eggs. It must be mentioned that Kathi Rolls are a very popular street food in India, and has now been brought to Toronto by TKRE's owner Sumit Kohli. I was invited to a tasting event along with many other bloggers about 2 weeks ago to try out the Kathi Rolls. I was excited to try it out as I have never tasted one before. Upon entering the trendy looking establishment, we were each given a mango lassi to drink while we wait. It was a savory yet thick mango yogurt drink. Two thumbs up for the drink :)


The event took place in the back patio, and Megan (our host) brought out two trays of Chicken Tikka Roll ($5.99) and Achari Paneer Tikka Roll ($5.99) for us to start the evening with. The chicken tikka roll was wrapped in BBQ chicken which was marinated in yoghurt and magical spices. I enjoyed this particular roll as the chicken was well-spiced and the spicy level wasn't too overwhelming.

The battered egg provided a very fluffy texture to the contrast of the chicken. This was probably my favorite roll from TKRE. The achari panner tikka roll consisted of spicy pickle and yogurt marinated chunks of Indian cottage cheese. The cheese definitely enhanced the taste of the roll itself, and provided a really unique taste as I have never eaten anything like it before.


Next up was the Chicken Kung Pao Szechwan Style Roll ($5.99). The owner of TKRE, Sumit Kohli, is a huge fan of "kung pao chicken" so he wanted to create a roll that would be a fusion of the two cultures. I really like Chinese's kung pao chicken so I was interested in seeing how the fusion of the two would mix. I was pleasantly surprised that it went well together. Overall, it was well-executed and pretty much put a fun twist on kung pao chicken.


As an added bonus, we were allowed to choose any one item from the menu to try. I chose the Korean Street Style BBQ Chicken Roll ($5.99); another fusion kathi roll. There was an abundant amount of Korean BBQ chicken in my roll, and I really liked the spices used as it was definitely flavorful. I also had a bite of the Lamb Seekh Kabab Roll ($5.99). This particular roll consisted of minced lamb, spices and bound with egg; it has a similar taste as the first roll. I actually don't have an acquired taste for (anything) lamb so I didn't like it as much as the other rolls.

I only got to try out a few rolls, but there is an extensive choice of filling at TKRE The Kathi Roll Express, and many are priced under $10.00. So, if you're looking for a quick bite at affordable prices then you should definitively head out to TKRE The Kathi Roll Express to try out their Kathi Rolls.

I'd like to thank both Megan and Sumit Kohli for their warm hospitality =) It was definitely my pleasure to have the opportunity to try out something new in the city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: The food provided in this post was complimentary. However, all of the opinions expressed in this review are of my own.

Photo Credit: JL of Paparazzi Media (PA)

TKRE The Kathi Roll Express on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments