Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Miga Korean & Japanese BBQ

by - February 01, 2014

Miga Korean & Japanese BBQ is a fusion restaurant located up in Mississauga. The original plan was to go to Sushi 168, but the estimated wait time for a table for two was 1.5 hours. That was a really long wait for an AYCE, so we decided to go next door to Miga Korean & Japanese BBQ.

The price for the weekend (Sat) AYCE dinner was slightly steep as it was $26.95 per person (drinks are not included). However, I am rarely in Mississauga so I'm not sure if that's the normal price range of AYCE places in the area. Looking through the menu, I noticed that a majority of the cooked food is traditional Korean dishes. The only Japanese food that they do offer are rolls and udon. The list of rolls wasn't extensive as they only offer 15 different rolls; many are basic rolls too. I am a huge Korean food fan so I was happy with the selection. However if you prefer Japanese food more then you will surely be disappointed.

The great thing about uptown restaurants is that it's usually free parking. There is an allocated parking in the front of the restaurant with a decent amount of space. Additionally, I thought that the rule regarding any leftover food was rather excessive as you'd be charged $5 per unfinished dish. That sounds pretty crazy to me considering the portion for each dish is pretty small. However, we ate everything that we ordered so I am not too sure how lenient they are with this rule.
Seafood selection was not that great
The seafood selection was not that great -- it was pretty much limited to crab legs and very small shrimp.  I think there was probably something on t - See more at: http://www.goodeat.ca/2011/09/im-sucker-for-mashed-potatoes-eagles.html#sthash.mXqZY55m.dp


The menu was conveniently on a single laminated sheet.


The side dishes that we got were vinegar radish, kimchi, seaweed and potato. Nothing special, just standard bachan dishes.


The Miga salad was a lot larger than I expected. It was probably twice as large as what you would regularly get at sushi restaurants as a complimentary dish. The salad was lightly dressed in a tangy sauce, but some pieces of lettuce were quite large.


The udon soup portion was extremely small; I had to order three of them. The broth was average and it came with a few pieces of udon noodles, one mushroom and one piece of fake crab.


The bulgogi (marinated beef) was soft and marinated perfectly with a sweet sauce.


I didn't like the pork at all as I found it rather bland and a little on the dry side. 


The chicken was coated in a thick marinade and it was sealed in nicely with the meat. Additionally, I liked the contrasting slightly spicy and sweet flavor of the chicken.


Whenever I order noodles, I must have it spicy. So I was happy they had stir fried spicy noodle with beef on the menu. For those don't take spices very well, there is a non-spiced version of the same noodles. The presentation was rather plain but I enjoyed the dish a lot.


The fried calamari was horrible and I had to force myself to finish the dish. The batter was absolutely tasteless and the calamari was overly chewy; making it difficult to chow down.


I don't think anyone can really screw up tteokbokki (rice cakes) as it's quite a simple dish to make (from personal experience in the kitchen). Anyways, I enjoyed the tteokbokki a lot here as it had a lot of flavor and there was a nice spicy kick to it.


Bibimbap is a signature Korean dish that is served in a bowl of rice topped with assorted vegetables and a fried egg. The presentation of the dish was rather nice looking for an AYCE and it also tasted good.


Another personal favorite of mine was the kalbi (marinated beef short rib) dish. The meat quality wasn't the greatest since it is AYCE but I thought it was grilled well.


I was too full from all of the cooked Korean dishes that I didn't order many rolls. I opted for the spicy salmon roll (3 pcs) and crab roll (3 pcs). As expected, it was very plain tasting and the rice was a little too sugared down.

As for service, our waitress was friendly without being intrusive, quick, and attentive. It was a nice change compared to the lack of service that are often found at many uptown Korean restaurants (based on personal dining experience). Additionally, the food arrived quickly to our table and our empty plates were constantly being cleared.

RATINGS:

Quality of Food: 3.7/5
Service: 4/5
Overall Dining Experience: 3.8/5
Price: $

Address: 2382 Dundas St W, Mississauga, ON, L5K 1R7

Miga Korean & Japanese BBQ on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments