Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Blowfish Restaurant & Saki Bar

by - February 13, 2014

Note: This review is super late as it was sitting in my draft folder unfinished. Originally written in early 2013.

I had forgotten to publish it. Blowfish Restaurant & Saki Bar is considered as one of the top high-end sushi restaurants in Toronto, ON. I wanted to try this place out based on the numerous glowing recommendations that I got from some friends. 

 For those who are interested in trying out the restaurant, Blowfish Restaurant & Saki Bar actually have two different locations: King Street West and Bay St. I called the Bay St location first to make a reservation and left a voice message but never received a call back!! So after waiting 2 days and having no one returned my call from the Bay St location; I called the one located on King St, and luckily was able to get a reservation for the weekend. 


The interior design of the restaurant illustrates a very trendy space with its modern architecture. However, I found that the tables were extremely close to one another. As we were seated in between two other tables, and I was actually able to hear almost everyone's conversations quite clearly, so there was absolutely no intimacy and space. I knew that the prices were on the high side so my expectations of the food were quite high even before I ordered.

My boyfriend and I were promptly seated and were given edamame to snack on while we looked through the menus. Each individual piece of nigri and sashimi are priced between $6.00 to $15.00 (various prices depending on the different types of sushi).


Despite the closeness of the tables; I thought that the ambiance was pretty good. The dim lighting ensured a relaxing dining atmosphere. The restaurant itself is of  decent size, modern, and there is a touch of elegance within the decors.

Below is a list of each piece of sushi, sashimi, and tempura that we ordered:

Toro (nigri): $18.00
Ika (nigri): $6.00
Hamachi (nigri): $10.00
Sake (sashimi): $6.00
Maguro (sashimi): $8.00
Sake (nigri): $7.00
Suzuki (nigri): $6.00
Ikura (nigri): $12.00
Red hot curry salmon: $13.00
3 pieces of tiger shrimp tempura: $9.00
Assorted mushroom tempura: $6.00

The sushi chefs at Blowfish were able to masterfully craft the sushi, and the final presentations looked really appealing when brought to our table. I was able to taste the warmth and freshness emanating from the sushi as I ate it.

For the main courses; we both chose the hot stone-seared wagyu striploin slices ($40.00 x 2), which I expected to fill me up for dinner. I was surprised when the food was bought over. Why? The reason being was that my main entrée consisted of 8 thinly sliced beef placed on a well decorated hot stone plate. Overall, the cuts of beef was decent and wasn't too fatty. A hot stone was provided to cook my slices of beef on it, and there were two accompanied dips; sesame and ponzu. Needlessly, to say I was very disappointed and regretted my decision in getting this dish. I was very hungry after finishing the dish that we had to order more sashimi.

I did enjoy the ambiance and the food wasn't bad. However, the service was on the inadequate side as our waitress was more focused on chatting with the other employees at the bar. She was not personable and just plopped down the dishes and returned to the bar area. Additionally, I wanted to order more sushi, and it was incredibly hard trying to get her attention. I never go into a restaurant demanding outstanding service, but at least show some courtesy by acknowledging customers.


I felt a little unease with the idea of taking photographs in a dim lighted restaurant. As I did not want to disrupt the other patrons with the flashes from my camera; I was only able to take two pictures. The first one was of myself with the wagyu beef, and the second photo was taken with my phone of the first out of three dishes of sushi.

Overall, I had an okay experience at Blowfish Restaurant & Saki Bar, and it was definitely not what I expected.The restaurant wasn't fully packed on that Saturday so that doesn't explain the poor service with us and the surrounding tables.

RATINGS:

Quality of Food: 3.5/5
Service: 2.5/5
Dining Experience: 3.5/5
Price: $$$$

Address:  668 King Street West, Toronto, ON, M5V1M5

Blowfish on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments