Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Black Lives Matter Resources (#BLM)

by - June 10, 2020

The public outcry over the death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020, has sparked a storm of protests all across the country. Americans are not alone, as protests in response to his death have also spread across the world, as many other countries have expressed solidarity with the American protestors and the black community.  Like many others who viewed the video of Floyd's death, I was sad and outraged that another unarmed African-American man was murdered in cold blood for using a counterfeit $20 bill. Since when do police have the power of judge, jury, and executioner?

Image Credit: blacklivesmatter.com
 Unfortunately, George Floyd is not alone on the list of people whose lives were cut short at the hands of the police. Other victims of police brutality and racism include Breonna Taylor, Walter Scott, Michael Brown, Alton Sterling, Antwon Rose, Sandra Bland, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice, Jordan Edwards, Freddie Gray, Keith Scott, Stephon Clark, and the list sadly goes on. Thousands of black people, particularly black men, have been killed by police since 1980 in America alone. It's time to change the system and dismantle structural racism that is placed in society.

Image Credit: REUTERS/Darren Ornitz
Video Credit: @snoopdogg

Racism has been an ongoing issue for several decades, and I am glad that it's no longer swept under the rug. People and companies alike are being called out for their racist behaviors, and I think it's about time. Things need to change, and if protesting is the only way to reach through to the large masses, then I think it's important to use our voices to do so. For me - I acknowledged my privilege as a "model minority", and I cannot sit here and pretend to understand what it's like to be consistently discriminated against, or living in fear that I will get shot by the police because of my skin color. With that being said, in recent weeks, I have continued to educate myself on racial inequalities and learning how to help (by donating) and be a better ally to the black community, and Black Lives Matter movement. 

What is Black Lives Matter? They are an international human rights movement, originating from within the African-American community, which campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people. You can learn more about BLM at https://blacklivesmatter.com/.


Also, if you're on social media, then you probably noticed another movement that took place on June 2. That day - tons of people posted black squares to showcase their solidarity with #BLM. It was quite controversial online, as some people felt that this was just "performative activism" on some companies or individuals' parts. Performative activism is defined as "a pejorative term referring to activism done to increase one's social capital rather than because of one's devotion to a cause." I didn't post a black square myself, because I felt that it would have taken away from others who were posting vital information on Black Lives Matter. However, I don't have any negative judgment against people who did post because many (I am sure) did it to show solidarity.  To each their own. 

Overall, I hope that my peers will continue to stand up to fight against racism and racial inequalities by either using their social media presence to educate others or donate to charities. As for me - I will also continue to learn and do better to be part of the solution for equality. 

Here are some resources that I believe are useful and important if you are interested in learning more. It's never too late to research and learn about systemic racism.

Support Local Businesses:

Black-owned businesses (Toronto & GTA) (credit: @j.a.l.i.l and @desperateidiot)

Petitions:




Educate Yourself: 

Disclaimer: Thank you to the original curators for all of the links above.

P.S: People also need to stop with the #AllLivesMatter bullshit! Those people are missing the complete point of the movement. BLM is not claiming that African-Americans' lives matter more than other races. Rather, they just want to highlight the injustice that black people go through on a daily basis just because of their skin color - whether it's with society, career advancements, or police.

You May Also Like

comments