Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Ka-Chi

by - July 29, 2014

There are three different Ka-Chi locations in downtown Toronto. All three are independent and are not associated with one another despite sharing the same brand. The location that I often frequent is the one on St. Andrew Street, and I reviewed it here. However, during the winter, there was an unfortunate fire at an (illegal) boarding house, and both Ka-Chi and Jang Su Chon were affected by the fire. Sadly, the latter is still close due to severe fire damage to the structure; I am not sure if the business will reopen.

Since that one was closed during the winter; we decided to check out the location in Chinatown. The menu and prices of the food were one of the same. This location was clean, spacious, and each table was reasonable apart from one another); similar to the other two locations. 


Out of all of Korean restaurants that I have been to; I'd have to say that the bachan provided at Ka-Chi is my favorite. However, the bachan doesn't arrive prior to the meal, but at the same time as the first dish (my significant other's kimchi stew). This particular meal came with six different dishes of bachan (cucumbers, kimchi, potatoes, seaweed, spicy cucumbers and glass noodles).


The kimchi stew with pork, dumpling, and tofu ($8.50)


I opted for the Ka-Chi's spicy BBQ beef ribs (grilled marinated beef ribs with Ka Chi's sweet & spicy sauce) ($12.95). I thought that the portion was generous, as they didn't skimp on the pieces of beef ribs. Instead of long pieces of ribs; the ribs were cut into decent sized pieces. The meat was tender, and the overall dish was full of flavor; spicy with a hint of sweetness.


I also got the spicy rice cakes (rice cakes with fish cakes and japchae) ($6.50) for us to share. Once again, I was pleased with the generous portion. There was a good amount of rice cakes and fish cakes; good to share between two people. This dish was a lot spicier than I expected, which is always good if you can handle the spice.

The service wasn't amazing, but the servers did their job adequately and efficiently. They check up on you about once or twice, and they were quick to refill the bachan dishes which I appreciated. The overall service was quick; as our food arrived pretty quickly as well. 

Address: 414 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON, M5T 1G6

Ka Chi on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments