Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

O&B Canteen

by - June 20, 2013


I went to dinner with a few girlfriends of mine at O&B Canteen last week. As many may know; this is one of the many restaurants under the Oliver & Bonacini umbrella (some others are Canoe, Luma, Bannock, Jump, etc. …). The restaurant is conveniently located on the busy corner of King St W & John St, and their outside patio is always busy now that the weather is warming up.


This is a great place for casual dining and one of the charms of the establishment is their open concept (kitchen/eating space). Additionally, O&B Canteen offers both table service with its communal tables, and take-out with its "grab and go" counter. Their takeout counter offers baked goods, sandwiches, salad, and many other items for affordable prices. Overall, the vibe is very casual, and modern; which provides a great atmosphere for socializing.


Brittany got the roasted pumpkin soup ($7.00) as a starter. She enjoyed the soup and liked the fact that the taste of the sweet pumpkin flavor wasn't too overwhelming.


I opted for the grate Canadian grilled cheese ($16.00), which apparently was the 2012 winner of the Niagara Gold cook-off. I enjoyed the sandwich a lot and loved how the cheese just melted in my mouth with each bite. It was probably one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches that I have had so far (Joey's lobster-grilled cheese being the close second). Additionally, the prosciutto and arugula provided a nice tangy flavor to the sandwich.


Both Feena and Suzy got their own Mac & Cheese ($16.00); a dish that I'd considered to be a comfort food. O&B Canteen's version features the usage of garganelli noodles and accompanied by cheddar and smoked ham. I was able to try a spoon of the mac & cheese and found the pasta texture to be a little dry. Perhaps because I chose to scoop from the corner hence the dry noodle pieces/lack of cheese. So this isn't a fair review of the dish on my part, but both seemed to have liked their meals so it must have been good.


Brittany opted for the pappardelle ($16.00), and I got a sample of it. I usually don't like the taste of braised rabbit, but I thought that this dish was pretty well executed. The pappardelle (thick and flat noodles) was fresh and cooked perfectly.

If you're into gourmet burgers then there is the beef burger ($16.00) on the menu; which was what Varina ordered. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask for her opinion on the burger so I don't have a review on it for you guys.

In regards to the service, I thought that our waitress provided great service. She was quick to refill our empty cups of water, took our empty dishes away, knowledgeable about the dishes, and even took the time to take a couple of group photos for us. If you're in the neighborhood, then I would highly recommend O&B Canteen for a good and filling meal.


RATINGS:

Quality of Food: 4.3/5
Service: 4.5/5
Overall Dining Experience: 4.3/5
Price: $$ || Online Menu

Address: 330 King St W, Toronto, ON, M5V 3X2

O&B Canteen on Urbanspoon

You May Also Like

comments