Best Of Toronto

Travel Guides

Restaurants Masterlist

Top 5: Things You Should NOT DO On A First Date

by - June 17, 2013

So you finally muster the courage, and asked the girl or guy that you have been crushing on out on a date, and they said “yes”. Just remember that you only get one chance to make a good first impression. So the following is a list of things that you should not do on a first date.

Dress Sloppily: As a female, I find that deciding what to wear on a first date is often difficult. I think it’s important to wear an outfit that is comfortable, but also try to avoid over-dressing for the occasion. If it’s a casual fare or event, just wear a nice flowy shirt with jeans, or a casual summer dress. As for males, don’t wear anything super baggy or dirty; it’s not going to make a very good impression if you like the girl. A good outfit idea would be khaki pants with a nice shirt or even button-up dress shirt. Also, don’t forget the perfume/cologne and deodorant.

Talk About Your Ex: If you’re out on a first date, do not … I repeat do not talk about your ex(es). This will definitely show your date that you haven’t moved on from your past relationship. It’s also completely unfair for the other person to listen to you talk about your ex, when they are trying to get to know you better.  I think that if you are not over your ex; then don’t date anyone until you are officially over them. 

Interview Your Date: A couple of my guy friends often complain that some of the girls that they go out on dates with would interview them during their first dates. These girls would go straight into asking them about their salaries (how much they make annually), what they want in a relationship, what car they drive, etc … First dates are supposed to be fun and not a job interview. So instead of bombarding your date with questions after questions, I think it’s good to just have casual conversations to get to know one another better.

Check Your Phone/Text While Your Date Is Talking: Unfortunately, I am a little guilty of checking my phone while I am out to dinner with friends. It’s something that I am currently working on improving, and I know that many people often do the same. However, whenever I am on a date with a guy, I try my best to avoid checking my phone. It’s important to be courteous to the other person, so it’s best to keep your cell phone on silent mode.

Expect The Guy To Pay: Who pays for the first date is often considered as a social dilemma these days. Traditionally, it is expected that the men usually pay for the first date. However, I don’t think that females should always expect or insists on their dates picking up the entire tab. I am sure that some guys would appreciate their dates offering to go dutch or at least offer to pay for the second date, if there is one. Personally, I don’t need a guy to pay for my meal, and I do offer to go dutch on dates. However, if the guy insists on paying for my share as well as his, then I would offer to pay the tab for the next time or we go for drinks or dessert after dinner (my treat).

You May Also Like

comments